Saturday, June 14, 2014

Happy Father's Day !

A text message received from my daughter on the Father's Day celebrations made me think of you.

How do I start was my dilemma?

You were a man of few words.

I got more of your physical appearance than my other siblings but the quality of a few words, I was not endowed with.

The younger brother has received it from you and you know God has very mysterious ways of working and assembling things around.

You showed us the length and the breadth of the country by taking us to various places during school vacation times but I knew that your world was just confined to within our shores only then.

But you showed us the World in a different way by introducing and encouraging us to read at a very early age.

That way you managed to take us far beyond your physically confined shores.

I still remember that every week you used to bring at least two books from the Office Library and we were on them like the vultures on a carcass.

That early induction to reading made us wanted more and to “Think freely”.

And we know now that, it was what you wanted us to acquire then.

Though Your other message, though conveyed in a very subtle way, not in very words was “Never come home get beaten up by someone else on the street”.

“Beat the hell out of anyone and come home victorious and I will defend you to the last tooth”.

Those two messages “Think Freely” & “Never come home get Beaten up by someone else” came in real handy in our later lives but I do not think that none of us got around telling you that how much we were benefitted from those two messages.

At least now we have such celebrations like “Father's Day”, which we have never heard of when we were growing up, gives us an opportunity to at least say “Thank You තාත්තේ (Father)!” even it is a few years too late now.

We would be eternally grateful to you.

Yours loving

පොඩි පුතා (The Black sheep in the family).


No comments: