Monday, October 10, 2022

How Did He Read the Future So Well?

One of my father’s younger brothers was in the Sri Lanka Police, not as a uniformed one, but as a male nurse in the police hospital in Colombo.

My cousin was a couple of months younger than me, and we were in parallel grades in different schools.

My uncle wanted to get his eldest son into the police force.

He was having high hopes and when the ordinary level results came in, his hopes were dashed as my cousin could not secure results to meet even the basic entry-level requirement for a position as Sub Inspector in the police department.

He was at a loss as he couldn't face his superiors after speaking in advance with some of the higher-ups to clear the way for his son’s admission to the force.

He was aware of my results and his next move was to approach my father, his elder brother, to get his blessing for me to step in instead of his own son, who flunked.

The only question my father asked him when the proposal was made was, "Are you crazy?"

His hopes were dashed for the second time.

Seeing how those who are in uniform behave in inhuman ways today and knowing how they have lost the respect of the public, who are calling them derogatory names in their absence as well as in their presence, I could not help thinking how farsighted and wise my late father was.

How did he read the future so well?

Now I am at a loss.



 

 

No comments: