Monday, July 18, 2022

Arrivederci My Friend !

We were getting ready at the famous J12 to watch the cricket match between India and Sri Lanka in the Cricket World Cup series in 1996

Primus suddenly walked in with a few papers and a very serious-looking face.

He took me to one side and broke the news that my father had passed away in Sri Lanka a little while ago.

The whole J12 mood changed from festive to sombre, and I got dressed up immediately and went to get my leave and travel sanctioned.

That same night, Primus accompanied me to the airport for my homebound travels.

Both of us knew well that the flight was fully booked and the chances of getting a seat for a rebated ticket were extremely remote, but I had no choice except to take a chance.

Luckily for me, that night shift in charge was none other than Late Mr Dharshan Nissanka.

Seeing us trying to approach the check-in counters, he came running towards us, stating "Is this a time for you to travel? Don’t you know the flights are overbooked during this period of time of the year" (exactly not the same words, but that was what he meant). 

Primus took him away from me and explained the circumstances, and his immediate words were for us to go to the Business Class desk and check in from there without waiting till the last minute. 

Then he gestured to the staff who was manning the Business Class desk to go ahead and accept me on the overbooked flight.

After the check-in process, I saw Mr Thinyani, the Gulf Air Duty Manager, emerging from their office behind the counters.

Dharshana went to him straight and explained something to him. 

His few nods affirm that he had endorsed Dharsana’s bold decision that night.

On more than one occasion, I have seen Dharshana helping not only Sri Lankan staff but others too.

He was someone I found to be unafraid of taking bold steps when the situation demanded it, and that too in good faith to help someone else.

He had a wonderfully big heart and helping others was in his blood.

He was a speedy reader and a well-read man too.

I discovered that I can discuss and argue about anything under the sun with him, which is something very rare quality.

His sudden departure was no doubt shocking to many who knew him.

I bid my old friend Arrivederci, knowing well that he is now in a better and safer place.






No comments: