Sunday, February 12, 2023

Citizen Audit

This may initially sound a little out of place.

Last night I went out with a few of my former colleagues, and instead of taking a home drop, I asked them to drop me off in front of the Multi-Modal, thinking that I could cross over to the other side in a well-lit area, but to my surprise, one of the security guards stopped me at the entrance and did not allow me to use the passage.

While turning back, I asked that gentleman’s name and he refused to divulge it, when I asked why refused, he called over the radio one of his senior officers to the area.

The officer informed me that they have instructed their guards not to divulge any details, but instead to call one of them. But I was trying to explain to the officer that since they deal with and interact with the public, they are obliged to give that information when requested.

But the purpose of this is not to complain against anyone but to let them know that by not allowing me entry they have come out with flying colours in one of the involuntary Citizen Audits conducted on them.

A citizen's audit is an effort by citizens to review, examine, and assess the financial and operational activities of government agencies, corporations, or other organizations.

The goal of a citizen's audit is to promote transparency and accountability and to ensure that public resources are being used effectively and efficiently.

The process typically involves volunteers who are not professional auditors, but who are interested in participating in the review process and using their expertise and skills to help identify any potential problems or issues.

The findings of a citizen's audit can be used to inform policymakers, the media, and the public, and to help drive changes to improve the functioning of the organization being audited.

No comments: