Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Urgent Attention: US Ambassador to Sri Lanka

Subject: Urgent Attention: US Ambassador to Sri Lanka


Dear Ambassador Chung,

Warm Greetings.

I have been a permanent resident of the US for the last 28 years and am currently residing in Virginia. 

I worked at the World Bank (WB) Headquarters for 26 years as a Senior Economist and retired in December 2021. 

My wife and daughter are US citizens.

I would like to draw your attention to the ongoing police/armed forces’ brutality towards my compatriots who are spending most of their waking hours in lines to obtain a few litres of gas/fuel. 

The vast majority of them are staying up for days with little or no food and other basic facilities. 

There are many recorded instances where the police and army, stationed to bring some order, have clearly overstepped their authority to engage in egregious abuses towards these innocent, helpless crowds.

The attached video clip provides one such example.

Since the current Sri Lankan regime has lost its credibility, I have decided to write to you directly to report on these abuses. 

I sincerely hope that your team will discuss this issue with the GoSL and will strongly advise the relevant authorities to put an end to these abuses effective immediately.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and best regards,

Dr Migara O. De Silva
(Mobile: 202-699-8838)

No comments: