Friday, September 02, 2022

නිකන් නම් දෙමළ පත්තරේ වත් එපා කියන්න එපා.

Mona was a very handsome Jordanian girl who worked as a cabin crew member at Oman Air.

Once, I was dispatching a Colombo-bound flight in the middle of the night, and Mona oversaw the rear cabin on that flight.

Just before I closed the rear passenger door, I told "Mona" I needed a favour”.

She was always very obliging and asked, "Tell me, what is it?"

I knew well that there would be Sri Lankan newspapers' uplift from Colombo for the return sector, so I asked her,

"If you get time, can you secure a couple of local newspapers for me, please"?

She happily said, "No issue" and the flight was released on time because I had to come back again the following morning to handle the arrival as well.

When I met the aircraft and opened the rear door, she was beaming and gave me a thumbs-up to confirm her action.

After all the passengers alighted, she came to the front with a heap of local newspapers, and immediately I realized that there was something wrong.

All she managed to collect were Tamil newspapers, and not a single English or Sinhala paper was among them.

In true Sri Lankan spirit, I thanked her profusely and accepted them.

As the saying goes, never refuse even a Tamil newspaper if you are receiving it free of charge from someone.

නිකන් ලැබෙනවා නම් දෙමළ පත්තරේ වත් එපා කියන්න එපා.

I think the word "local" killed the bird on that occasion.



No comments: